A visit to the Iowa State Fair, planned Aug. 10-20 in Des Moines, doesn’t have to be destructive on your waistline as healthy activities and foods are available.
All ages are invited to join in Fitness on the Hill, a daily morning exercise led by YMCA instructors from across the state. The event will be held from 9:30-10 a.m. every morning of the fair on Expo Hill, located just east of the Cultural Center and near the Wind Turbine at the fairgrounds.
Although the fair is known for its calorie-packed fried-food-on-a-stick, many options are also available that meet the USDA guidelines for healthy meals, including:
- Side dishes less than 300 calories
- Less than 35 percent of calories from total fat
- Less than 10 percent of calories from saturated fat
- Less than 35 percent of calories from sugar
- Less than 1,000 mg of sodium
Find a complete listing of healthy food options and vendor locations at www.iowastatefair.org.