Inclusive ICR, a local coalition with a mission to grow diversity and inclusion in the workforce throughout the region, has released its 2022 Diversity, Equity and Inclusion regional report. Summary data within the report was curated from individual submissions during the open DEI assessment available to all employers within the ICR region earlier this spring. […]
- Unparalleled business coverage of the Iowa City / Cedar Rapids corridor.
- Immediate access to subscriber-only content on our website.
- 26 issues per year delivered digitally, in print or both.
- Support locally owned and operated journalism.
Inclusive ICR, a local coalition with a mission to grow diversity and inclusion in the workforce throughout the region, has released its 2022 Diversity, Equity and Inclusion regional report.
Summary data within the report was curated from individual submissions during the open DEI assessment available to all employers within the ICR region earlier this spring.
Representatives from participating organizations submitted their own awareness of and involvement in diversity, equity and inclusion efforts through the examination of five key pillars. More than 178 responses were collected during the open assessment, with 93 unique reports generated for individual organizations.
“The regional report confirms our cumulative efforts in building awareness that diversity and inclusion is important to our regional success,” Angelica Vannatta, co-chair for Inclusive ICR, said in a news release. “It’s critical as a region to review the identified opportunities to be better. I’m excited to see what impact the results of this report have on our collective ability to create a community of belonging at work.”
This assessment is made possible with leadership of Inclusive ICR along with project investors ICR Iowa, the Cedar Rapids Metro Economic Alliance, Iowa City Area Business Partnership and the Iowa City Area Development Group.
Takeaways from each DEI pillar include opportunities for both employers and regional efforts on strategy moving forward. Trends from the summary include:
- The role of DEI within a value statement or publicly identified as a priority area is high, with the primary objective of DEI efforts connected to recruitment of diverse candidates along with attraction and retention of talent.
- A large percentage of respondents were unable to identify a specific accountability plan to track their organization’s DEI progress, including progress towards meeting DEI goals to influence performance evaluation or provide targeted development opportunities for diverse employees.
- A number of respondents offer opportunities for employees to observe events of personal or religious significance but would like to build awareness and celebrate the diversity among employees as an organization through external support from employer resource or affinity groups.
Calendar and resource library
Opportunities for employers to grow in the DEI space as a region were key drivers in the development and launch of two Inclusive ICR tools. The Inclusive ICR Resource Library is a free online resource featuring local, regional and national tools that specialize in one or more of the five pillars. The directory will continue to grow as new tools are brought to the attention of the resource committee.
The recent launch of the Inclusive ICR DEI community calendar on the Inclusive ICR website will build awareness of new and existing DEI programs and events throughout the year. Event organizers are encouraged to submit their events for the rest of 2022 and 2023 at https://icriowa.org/inclusive-icr/.
The Inclusive ICR advisory council, along with DEI Index investors ICR Iowa, ICAD, IC Area Business Partnership, and the Cedar Rapids Metro Economic Alliance, will be working through results of the regional assessment to identify topics for future coalition meetings. Individuals and employer representatives are encouraged to sign up for the monthly newsletter and request information at https://icriowa.org/inclusive-icr/.
To view the full regional summary, visit https://bit.ly/ICRDEI22.