It may not be an official U.S. holiday, but many local businesses in Cedar Rapids are planning specials and special events to mark Cinco de Mayo.
Cinco de Mayo, or the fifth of May, celebrates the Mexican Army’s 1862 victory over France at the Battle of Puebla during the Franco-Mexican War. It is also known as Battle of Puebla Day. While it’s a relatively minor holiday in Mexico, it has evolved into a celebration of Mexican heritage and culture, particularly in areas with large Mexican American populations, according to a news release sent by the Cedar Rapids Metro Economic Alliance.
“We’ve noticed a trend in recent years of more people intentionally celebrating Cinco de Mayo,” said Doug Neumann, Executive Director of the Economic Alliance, in the release. “Even we were surprised by all that’s planned locally for this Thursday. This is a good opportunity to support local businesses while celebrating the Mexican American culture.”
Here’s the list of top events, locations, and specials happening on Cinco de Mayo– May 5, 2022:
Cinco de Mayo Bike Night
- Play “Pass the Sombrero” and win a chance at a motorcycle at a Cinco de Mayo fiesta.
- Where: McGrath Hawkeye Harley-Davidson,120 Westcor Dr., Coralville
- 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Headshot Happy Hour
- Enjoy margaritas, snacks and get a new headshot for your dating profile! StudioU and dating profile experts will help you get your online dating profile ready for the summer.
- Where: Olympic South Side Theater, 1202 3rd St SE #200, Cedar Rapids
- 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Cedar Rapids Kernels Baseball
The Kernels are at home May 5, taking on the Quad Cities (weather-permitting). It’s Big Screen Thursday, which means fans 18 years old and older can enter for a chance to win one of three 50” big screen TVs to be given away this season. And what better way to celebrate Cinco de Mayo than with baseball, your amigos and some Mexican fare. La Cantina and Hacienda Las Glorias offer Mexican food and beverages on the concourse behind home plate.
Mexican Food and Bar options
Simply looking for some tacos and margs? The Economic Alliance’s Research and Analytics Specialist, Laura Thomas, keeps track of local restaurants and what they offer. She said, in the release, you currently have 25 metro Mexican restaurants to choose from (CBJ has added one to the list):
- La Cantina Bar & Grill
- Villas Patio
- La Reyna
- Casa Las Glorias
- Taco Depot II
- Adelitas Mexican Grill
- Gringo’s Café & Catering
- El Paraiso Bar & Grill
- Papa Juan’s Mexican Grille
- El Super Burrito & Lupita’s Bakery
- Mas Margaritas
- Taco Depot
- Hacienda Las Glorias
- Miguels Bar and Grill
- El Baijo
- Los Compadres
- Cancun Mexican Grill & Bar
- Lucita’s Diner
- Taco Depot III
- La Casita Breakfast Café
- Mamacita’s Taco Pub
- La Chamba
- Mi Terra Mexican
- La Cantina
- Eva’s Mexican Restaurant
Other restaurants and bars are also offering Cinco de Mayo specials:
- Mulligan’s Pub: Modelos and Coronas for $5 and win a chance at a beach cruiser bike.
- Lion Bridge Brewing: margarita hard slushies, fried avocado tacos (vegetarian) and fish tacos with house-made pico and baja sauce.
- Cedar Ridge Winery and Distillery: burnt ends queso ($10) and royal margaritas featuring Sir Maple Bourbon Whiskey for $10.
- Pedalers Fork: Patron margarita flights (mango, strawberry, raspberry and watermelon) and any purchases of Corona, Modelo, or Pacifico will get you entered to win Modelo Cornhole boards (winner announced May 6.)
- White Star: Tinga Tacos and hand-crafted margaritas.
The celebration continues…
Looking to celebrate into the weekend? The Crooked Cactus Band a.k.a. Los Nupales Chuecos plays at the Riverside Casino & Golf Resort Saturday, May 7, from 8:30 p.m. to Midnight.